- Airlock - 2 types - single bubbler or 3 piece. Single is the better option for ease. 3 piece can allow water back into the fermenter.
- Boiling Pot - 3 gal. minimum - aluminum is best
- Can opener
- plastic wrap
- stirring spoon
- sanitizer - iodophor, starson, final step
- fermenter - 6 gallon food grade plastic, I'm going to go with a 6 gallon glass carboy
- glass measuring cup - quart
- thermometer - 80 deg. F - 180 deg. F - floating dairy thermometer or LCD
- Hydrometer - measures specific gravity between water and water with sugar. Gauges progress of fermentation by measuring attenuation.
- attenuation - degree of conversion of sugar to ethanol by the yeast
AAU is the unit of measure for hops. You find it by multiplying alpha acid rating of the hop (% value) by weight in ounces.
Example: 2 oz. of 6% alpha acid hop = 12 AAU's
Sooooo I have 4 pages of notes on Ch. 1. I don't wanna overwhelm everyone too early so I'll go over brewing procedure as well as malts and sugars in the next post.